ⓘ Matthias Schmidt (musicologist)
Born in Cologne, Schmidt studied musicology, Germanistic, history of art and philosophy in the universities of Bonn, Berlin and Vienna. He received his doctorate at the FU Berlin and habilitated at the University of Salzburg. Schmidt was a research assistant at the Arnold Schonberg-Institute of the University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna, the German Academic Exchange Service, Thyssen and the Osterreichische Forschungsgemeinschaft scholarships in Austria, Italy and several times in the USA. Schmidt has spent many years of teaching as lecturer, substitute and visiting professor at universities in Austria, Switzerland, Germany and the Netherlands in addition to his academic duties as music journalist, exhibition curator and concert dramaturg. He has been editor of the series of publications of the International Schonberg Society and since 2006 together with Klaus Pietschmann and Wilhelm Seidel of the journal Musiktheorie.
Since 2007 Schmidt has been "titular professor" in the field of modern music history at the Musicology Department of the University of Basel. He is a board member of several foundations and forums, 2010-2017 he was a member of the board of directors of the NCCR Eikones Basel. In 2017 Schmidt was elected to the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
Schmidts work focuses on the history and aesthetics of music of the 18th to 20th centuries. Schmidt is also particularly interested in persons and phenomena that lie beyond canonized historiography: for example, he has worked together with students on exhibitions and publications on the composers Felix Weingartner and Yevgeny Gunst as well as on the Swiss origins of the national anthem of Lesotho.
The Viennese musicologist Elisabeth Haas has made an attempt to give Schmidts book Komponierte Kindheit a thorough critique. In Die Musikforschung Haas argues that Schmidt ignores widely used sources and uses the thoughts of others for his own. But where Schmidt relied on himself, there were numerous mistakes in his explanations, each of which testified to insufficient knowledge of the music texts. However, in the same issue of Die Musikforschung Schmidt was able to refute the criticism in a counterstatement and the accusations contained therein.
- Komponierte Kindheit. Laaber 2004. Spektrum der Musik, 7.
- Johannes Brahms, die Lieder. Ein musikalischer Werkfuhrer. Munich 2015.
- Schonberg und Mozart. Aspekte einer Rezeptionsgeschichte. Vienna 2004 Publications of the International Schonberg-Society 5.
- Theorie und Praxis der Zwolftontechnik. Ernst Krenek und die Reihenkomposition der Wiener Schule. Laaber 1998.
- Matthias Schmidt, Arne Stollberg editors: Das Bildliche und das Unbildliche. Nietzsche, Wagner und das Musikdrama. Fink, Paderborn 2015.
- Johannes Brahms. Ein Versuch uber die musikalische Selbstreflexion. Wilhelmshaven 2000 Taschenbucher zur Musikwissenschaft, 137.
- Im Gefalle der Zeit. Ernst Kreneks Werke fur Sologesang. Kassel 1998.
no need to download or install
Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!online intellectual game →