ⓘ Colombischlossle Freiburg. The Colombischlossle Colombi castle was built between 1859 and 1861 on the terrain of the former bastion Saint Louis of the town fort ..

                                     

ⓘ Colombischlossle Freiburg

The "Colombischlossle" Colombi castle was built between 1859 and 1861 on the terrain of the former bastion Saint Louis of the town fortification of Freiburg, which had been filled in 15 metres and converted to a garden. Duches Maria Antonia Gertrudis von Zea Bermudez y Colombi was the one who commissioned the castle. She wanted the building to be her widows residence. The plans were made by the Freiburg architect Georg Jakob Schneider, who chose the gothic Tudor-style of the English medieval times as inspiration for the historicist mansion. Additionally, he was inspired by his master Friedrich Eisenlohr, who had let him rebuilt Ortenberg Castle in this style. It cost about 300.000 Goldmark, 750 per square metre. The historic stairwell, the parquet flooring and a light glass cupola roof, still show the former prosperity of the duchess Maria Antonia Gertrudis de Colombi y de Bode 1809–1863.

Johann Georg Thoma, a manufacturer from Todtnau, acquired the estate from the inheritors and converted part of it into building terrain. Around this time, the Colombi street and Rosa street, which was named after his wife, were formed here. In 1899, the city of Freiburg purchased the building. It served as the urban art museum from 1909 to 1923, and later as an office building. Additionally, the Badian association "Badische Heimat" had an office here, as their secretary, Max Wingenroth 1872–1922, was the head of the towns collections. From 1947 to 1952, the Colombischlossle was the location of the "Staatskanzlei", the regional government of Baden under Leo Wohleb. Since it was renovated in 1983, the "Archaologische Museum Colombischlossle" archaeological museum Colomischlossle has its home in the Colombischlossle.

The Colombischlossle and its park have been designated as a national heritage site since 2003. The museum was closed due to remediation work from May to September in 2014. During this time, the historical glass roof was resealed and the walls on the ground floor were repainted.

                                     

1. Park

The park of the Colombischlossle was designed in the style of an English landscape garden with exotic plants and trees as well as a fountain. It was completed in 1860 and is open to the public since 1906. In 1955, the park was appointed a natural monument. Opposite to it, the Colombi Hotel was opened in the middle of May 1957. Before the decrease in size due to the expansion of the Rotteckring in 1962, the park covered an area of 1.5 hectare and today it covers an area of 1.3 hectare. Today, the park is used for art exhibitions as well as cultural programmes and it includes a vineyard trail. Alongside a female statue there is the Schneckenreiter Fountain. Its statue was designed by Konrad Taucher 1873–1950, a sculptor from Karlsruhe, and cast by the company Paul Stotz in Stuttgart. The Munsterbauverein in Freiburg purchased the art piece at the anniversary exhibition for arts and applied arts in Karlsuhe and handed it over to the city.

A 1978 steel sculpture by Manfred Dorner was installed in the south-eastern part of the park in 2006. The sculpture originally stood in a row of chestnut trees in front of the Black Monastery.

  • Schneckenreiter Fountain Konrad Taucher, 1906
  • Statue of a Woman
  • Steel Sculpture Manfred Dorner, 1978

The park has been used as a cruising area by the gay scene. Not least because of its proximity to the central station it is a hot spot of the drug scene in Freiburg.

                                     

2. Bibliography

Joseph L. Wohleb: Aus der Geschichte des ColombischloSles und der Familie Colombi. In: Schau-ins-Land 70, 1951/52, S. 100–119 Digitalisat.

William von Schroder: Neue Kunde uber die Besitzer des Freiburger Colombi-SchloSles. In: Schau-ins-Land 73, 1955, S. 122–128 Digitalisat.

Gitta Reinhardt-Fehrenbach: Denkmalportrat: Quo vadis Colombi-Schlossle? In: Denkmalpflege in Baden-Wurttemberg. Nachrichtenblatt des Landesdenkmalamtes, 3/2003, S. 275–276 Digitalisat.

Hilde Hiller: 20 Jahre Museum fur Ur- und Fruhgeschichte im Colombischlossle. Museum fur Ur- und Fruhgeschichte, Freiburg, Breisgau 2003.

Ulrike Kalbaum: Die Villa Colombi in Freiburg im Breisgau 1859–1861. Studien zum neugotischen Wohnbau in Sudwestdeutschland. Alber, Freiburg/Munchen 2006, ISBN 978-3-495-49951-1.

Free and no ads
no need to download or install

Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!

online intellectual game →