Lameschmillen, also known as the Bergemer Muhle, is located halfway between Bergem and Noertzange, at the confluence of the rivers Alzette and Mess. It is one of three watermills in Luxembourg with the same name. It marks the southern limit of the Dumontshaff Project at Dumontshaff/Dumontshof which converted a stretch of the upper Alzette into a nature reserve. The area is rich in wildlife, especially waterbirds.
There has been a mill at the same site since at least the twelfth century when, along with Esch, Mittendal and Bergem it formed part of the parish forerunner of the Commune of Schifflange. Existing buildings date from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, with further alterations in the 20th and 21st centuries.
1530: Johanna de Mercy built the moated castle of Mittendal at Bergem, to which the rights over the Lamescher Mill belonged.
1664: A stone bearing this date was found in the millers cottage.
1700: Marie-Marguerite Bosch Widow Gennetais and Ludwina Petronella Bosch Widow Stassin, let Lameschmuhle to Jean Eydt and Marguerite Berchem.
1712: Lease signed between Ludwina Petronella de Bosch and Paul Schweich, husband of Ludwina Petronella Eydt.
1719: Paul Schweich marries Johanna Nicholas.
1723: Paul Schweich marries Catherine Calmes.
1731: Marie-Marguerite de Stassin Widow Bost-Moulin lets Lameschmuhle to Nicolas Kribs of Huncherange.
1743: Wilhelm Franck of the Lamescher Muhle marries Anna Helena Reuter of Altwies.
1759: Countess de Chanclos leases the mill to Theodore Franck, son of Guillaume Franck and Madeleine Krips.
1765: Anna Franck of the Lameschmuhle marries Nicholas Zeller of Budersberg.
1766: The Land Registry of the Empress Maria Theresa lists Theodore Franck as the Miller.
1768: Stable building erected.
1776: A door lintel of this date found in the Millers cottage, with T. FA - 17 ihs 76 O. C.? inscribed. By this time the Franck family owned the Mill outright.
1820: Bastien Klensch of Bergem and Krips of the Udinger Mill take the Miller Michel Franck, son of Theodore Franck, to court, because Franck had raised the level of his waterwheel and the depth of the mill-race. It was decided that the mill-race should be lowered by 47 inches along its entire length. A sluice must be put back in the mill-race. This must be open for at least a full day to clean the by-flow, and for other specified reasons. It was forbidden to obstruct the race or the sluice. On the first Sunday of each January, April, July and October all the sluices must be open all day. In September the mill-race and canal must be thoroughly cleaned.
1824: The land register names the Widow of Michel Franck as owner.
1876: A new mill building was built the door lintel was dated and initialled MP 1881 ML with a turbine underneath.
1904: The owner was Peter Muller.
1922: New living quarters constructed between the Stable and the millers cottage; a turret added with initials GW-1922-JS. The owners were Gustav Wilhelm and his wife Josephine Scheltgen. Wilhelm recalled that on his first evening at the mill upon taking possession, he shouted aloud to express his joy, knowing that all around him was his land, and nobody in earshot. Josephines sister and her husband, Herr Diderich, also lived on the property. They named their son Gustav after his uncle, and he in due course inherited the mill.
1940: The mill was temporarily taken over by the German Army. Stores hidden by the Wilhelm and Diderich families behind a false wall where the Mazout now stands were not discovered. One of the mills four dray horses was commandeered.
1960: Milling of wheat ceased; milling for fodder continued.
1970: All milling ceased, when the last miller, Paul Brockmeyer and his wife, Marianne Bauler, took to commercial stabling. Additional adjacent land was acquired by them in 1973, 1981 and 1990. The whole property was divided into two - the Stables and the Domaine.
2004: The mill, cottage and corner building with turret amalgamated to form a single dwelling. Facade of the cottage building altered to include a front door and two large ground floor windows, with a gabled window above.
2016: The Biddinger family sells the riding school.
Sources:- Die Muhlen des Luxembuger Landes by Emile Erpelding, 1981, published by St Paulus-Druckerei Luxemburg Bureau Cadastral, Luxembourg Local Inscriptions Oral reminiscences of Gustav Diderich
no need to download or install
Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!online intellectual game →