ⓘ Nevada City Downtown Historic District. The Nevada City Downtown Historic District is a 16-acre historic district in Nevada City within the U.S. state of Califo ..

                                     

ⓘ Nevada City Downtown Historic District

The Nevada City Downtown Historic District is a 16-acre historic district in Nevada City within the U.S. state of California. Located in Nevada County, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. It dates from 1917, with examples of Moderne and Italianate architecture. The period of significance is 1856-1917. The historic district covers the downtown section roughly bounded by Spring, Bridge, Commercial, York, Washington, Coyote, and Main Streets. It includes 70 contributing buildings including the National Hotel, which is separately listed on the National Register. Several historical buildings have received California Historical Landmark status, and have been preserved.

                                     

1. Numbering

  • Buildings on South Pine Street, numbered from 108 to 203
  • Buildings on North Pine Street, numbered from 108-1/2 to 231
  • Buildings on Commercial Street, numbered from 200 to 405
  • Buildings on Main Street, numbered from 30 through 308
  • Buildings on Church Street, numbered 214 to 222
  • Buildings on Broad Street, numbered from 211 to 420
  • Buildings on Springs Street, numbered from 300 to 325
  • Buildings on Washington Street, numbered 310 and 317
                                     

2. Buildings

  • The South Yuba Canal Office CHL No. 832 was the headquarters for the largest network of water flumes and ditches in California. Located at 134 Main Street, it was the headquarters for the largest network of water flumes and ditches in California. It became a California Historical Landmark in May 1970.
  • Otts Assay Office
  • Nevada Theatre CHL No. 863, 401 Broad Street, is Californias oldest original-use theatre.
  • Nevada City Firehouse No. 2 is a Neoclassical-Greek Revival style building. The firehouse was built in 1860 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 3, 1974.
  • Doris Foley Library for Historical Research NRHP No. 90001809, 211 re-numbered 231 North Pine Street, is a Carnegie library.
  • St. Canice Catholic Church, 317 Washington Street
  • National Hotel, 211 Broad Street
  • National Hotel CHL No. 899, 211 Broad Street, is one of the oldest continuously operating hotels west of the Rocky Mountains.
  • Court house in Courthouse Square and city hall Art deco facades are attributable to Works Progress Administration projects.
  • Nevada Brewery NRHP No. 85002303, 107 Sacramento Street, was used for brewing and serving lager beer to the mining community.
  • Miners Foundry CHL No. 1012, 325 Spring Street, was the first manufacturing location of the Pelton wheel.

Built in 1855, it was originally known as the Potter Building. A two-story brick structure, it was fitted with iron doors and shutters, plus a filigree balcony railing. The companys original ditch was put into use in 1850. The South Yuba Canal is now part of the public lands of the Tahoe National Forest. The South Yuba Canal System is used for delivering domestic and agricultural water to Nevada City and its neighbor Grass Valley. The water also generates electricity in Northern California. It is approximately 18 mi 29 km in length. Crossing private and National Forest lands, the canal is bordered by conifers and hardwoods.

Free and no ads
no need to download or install

Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!

online intellectual game →