ⓘ Eglise Saint-Bonaventure. The Eglise Saint-Bonaventure is one of the churches of the quarter Presquile, located on the Place des Cordeliers, in the 2nd arrondis ..

                                     

ⓘ Eglise Saint-Bonaventure

The Eglise Saint-Bonaventure is one of the churches of the quarter Presquile, located on the Place des Cordeliers, in the 2nd arrondissement of Lyon. This is the only medieval building not demolished after the creation of the rue Imperiale, under the Second Empire by the prefect Claude-Marius Vaïsse.

                                     

1. History

The churchs history, now known under the name of St. Bonaventure, is intimately related to the convent of the Cordeliers, for which it was constructed.

To meet the needs of the community of Franciscan friars, named Cordeliers, installed at this place since the seneschal Grolee bequeathed them a space for the installation of their convent, the construction of a bigger church was decided by Jacques de Grolee, grandson of the seneschal, to overcome the narrowness of the first convent church, which was apparent when the crowd was gathered at ceremonies for the Cardinal Bonaventures death, on the night of 14 and 15 July 1274, at the age of 57.

The new church was oriented towards the south, which is rare at the time.

The church was built in just two years between 1325 and 1327. It housed the remains of Jacques de Grolee, died on 4 May 1327, which is under the high altar, before being moved somewhere near the epistle in 1599. The church was consecrated on 18 September 1328 by the archbishop of Lyon, Pierre IV of Savoy, under the name of St. Francis of Assisi.

Unlike the Eglise Saint-Nizier Lyon, the church of Cordeliers became the seat of the brotherhoods. The church was expanded from 1471 to 1484 and was then named Saint-Bonaventure.

The choir was restored in 1607. It served as a granary after the French Revolution before being used to worship in 1806, getting its current facade under Cardinal Joseph Feschs leadership.

Around 1890, the church was cleared of the curia and buildings beside it, which allowed the expansion of the rue Grolee on its western flank.

                                     

2. Chapels

In the monograph devoted to the whole convent of Cordeliers, the abbot Pavy did the same description as that of Fodere.

  • Chapel n° 8:?
  • Chapel n° 5: dedicated to St. Jean-Baptiste
  • Chapel n° 2: chapel of St. Fortune or saint Fortunat, by merchants of Troyes in Champagne in 1345
  • Chapel n° 9:?
  • Chapelle n° 4: chapel dedicated to St. Luc and St. Clair, by the painters and glaziers brotherhoods. It is now the chapel of Sacred Heart whose altar was added by order of the Bishop of Neuville.
  • At the west to the right, from the choir to the entrance
  • Chapel n° 1: chapel Notre-Dame, built by Jean Ogii or Ogier, probably the same who was a member of the consulate. John Ogier and his family were buried in this chapel.
  • Chapel n° 7:?
  • Chapel n° 3: chapel St. Joseph, built by the brotherhood of the suits of clothes. It was dedicated to St. Jacques and St. Philip. Heraldry of the brotherhood can be seen on the arch of the arcade: scissors surmounted by a shell.
  • Chapel n° 6: chapel St. Anthony of Padua, built in 1388
  • Chapelle n° 1: first dedicated to Saint Francis of Assisi, then St. Bonaventure, it was dedicated to King St. Louis by the royal sergeants brotherhood.
  • Chapel n° 5: chapel St. Bernardin, then St. Claude
  • At the east to the left, from the choir to the entrance
  • Chapel n° 3: chapel St. Nicolas, built by the boatmen. In early 16th century, the troops led by François de Beaumont, baron des Adrets crossed the church during their looting and destroyed a part of the chapel. It was rebuilt in 1572.
  • Chapel n° 2: chapel of the Assumption, dedicated to Notre-Dame. In 1662, it became Notre-Dame de la delivrance.
  • Chapel n° 9:?
  • Chapel n° 8:?
  • Chapel n° 7:?
  • Chapel n° 4: chapel Notre-Dame de Grace
  • Chapel n° 6:?
                                     

3. Scoutism

The church is an important part of the Scoutisme Français since it gathers together all Catholic movements of Scouting in Lyon. Every month, the church houses the inter-scout for its evening gathering and adoration prayer, organized by Eamus. The Friday before Palm Sunday, the evening gathering is hosted by the inter-scout choir of Lyon which also gives its annual concert on 8 December.

Free and no ads
no need to download or install

Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!

online intellectual game →